Friday, August 09, 2013

Batten Down the Hatches, Memphis: Elvis Week Approaches

This ain't no time for Disneyland, America. It's mid-August in the Little Ol' South, and that can only mean one thing: Elvis Week.

While I'm tossing out metaphors, I just have to say that I feel like one of Santa's elves on Christmas Eve as I pore over all the activities on my Memphis schedule next week. I may be working hard to prepare for a long list of activities and appearances, but dang if I'm not downright giddy with anticipation.

I can't decide which event's going to be more fun, but one of them is bound to be the highlight (and not just for me): the ever-so-handsome and charming Ronnie McDowell's playing at the New Daisy Theatre on Wednesday, August 14. If you haven't seen this actor-singer-hit songwriter work his magic on stage, you've missed one mighty good show. Don't make that mistake again this year, people. Hop on a plane or jump in your cars and get yourself down to Beale Street next week and catch Ronnie's show.

I'll be looking for you.

There's one other item on my list that looks pretty fun: I'm going to Graceland.

The King may not be around, but his spirit lives on there...and it shines far beyond the gates of that place, in the hearts of his family, friends and staff -- and millions of fans worldwide. I've had the real pleasure of meeting one or two of them myself, and I very much look forward to another encounter, which is bound to be as epic as the first.

If you're wondering what all the fuss is about, here's a quick message from the one and only (and did I mention handsome and charming) Ronnie McDowell about the show on Wednesday:




No comments:

Post a Comment