Tuesday, August 24, 2010

People movers: Three ideas and an animated film about what motivates us humans

So are you wondering what motivates people? According to this video, it's not money that motivates us. It's three other things:

1. We want to be self-directed
2. We want to get better at stuff
3. We want to make a contribution - to make the world a better place, essentially

I believe it. Why? About seven years ago I left a high-paying job in corporate America to start my own public relations and communications consulting business, and while the money hasn't always been good, I've had an enormous sense of satisfaction about my work....more than I've ever had... FOR THE SAME THREE REASONS.

1. I like being self-directed.

2. I like learning new things and getting better at stuff. (Over the past 7 years as a business owner I've learned a hell of a lot more about fundamental business principles, government and economics than I learned in twice as many years working for someone else.)

3. I like making a contribution -- and having the freedom to do so as a business owner means I actually DO SO, even during those times when I have less money coming in and less free time to go out and make the world a better place.

Most serial entrepreneurs feel the same way. They dread having to go back to a work environment that robs them of these three fundamental motivators.

What about you? What motivates you?

Here's the video - if you don't like the speaker, you might like the cartoons that illustrate his points.

No comments:

Post a Comment